Early Childhood Development in BC: A Framework for Action was published in 2003 by the First Call BC Child and Youth Advocacy Coalition.
This groundbreaking document was the result of extensive consultation and reflected a broad provincial consensus that was reaffirmed in 2006 and 2008.
The Framework for Action seeks to foster the healthy development of young children aged 0-6 years and their families by:
- Drawing on research, expertise & community guidance to identify key components of an ECD system,
- Showing how system components connect to build a proactive, integrated provincial strategy,
- Supporting individual & collective action, ongoing monitoring and evaluation to promote improved outcomes for young children.
2013 Provincial Engagement Process:
First Call is currently leading an engagement process to review and update the Framework for Action to ensure that it reflects the latest research and integrates the diverse perspectives and collective wisdom of families and ECD partners across BC.
This project, supported by funding from United Way of the Lower Mainland, seeks to engage with members of First Call’s provincial coalition and other ECD partners to build on the extensive work that led to the original consensus.
We want to hear from you:
- Does First Call’s ECD Framework for Action address the issues that are important to you and your community?
- Does it build on the latest research, provide a compelling rationale for action and a clear roadmap for strengthening ECD in BC?
- Does it offer a strong framework for supporting, coordinating and integrating individual and collective action towards strongly-shared collective goals?
- What else is needed to build on current successes and to better support families, communities and province-wide efforts to promote the healthy development of all young children in our province?
Ways to Participate:
- Take our Web survey (5-10 minutes): Review and comment on key points in the Framework for Action and identify the ECD issues that matter to you and your community.
- Read the Framework for Action and join us at First Call’s ECD Roundtable meeting on March 21 to discuss proposed updates and revisions to strengthen the consensus recommendations.
- Read a quick summary of the Framework and the process to update it.
- Read a mid-point overview of key feedback to date and initial thoughts about the revision.
- Group sessions: Contact Project Lead Dawn Steele to schedule a presentation and discussion session with members of your organization.
- Written comments: Review the Framework for Action document and email your comments directly to the Project Lead.
Timeline: 2013 Engagement Process:
- Web survey: February 21 – April 21
- Emailed comments: February 21 – April 21
- Group presentation and discussion sessions (Contact the Project Lead to schedule a session): February 1 – April 21
- First Call ECD Roundtable meeting, March 21
- View the March 21 Project Update
Discussion and approval of revised document:
- Revised draft released: Early May
- Discussion: First Call Coalition meeting: May 8
- Discussion & approval: First Call ECD Roundtable meeting: May 23
Final version published: June 2013
- Quick summary: First Call’s ECD Framework & engagement process.
- Project update: March 21 presentation to First Call’s ECD Roundtable
- Full document: Early Childhood Development in BC: First Call’s Framework for Action
- ECD Research: First Call’s annotated bibliography of ECD resources (updated 2012).
- Learn more about First Call and First Call’s ECD Roundtable